ADM202 - Protecting your Content: Demystifying Data Loss Prevention (DLP) in SharePoint
Paul Stork MVP, MCSM, MBA
Keeping content safe has always been a challenge in SharePoint. Many companies are afraid to decentralize security administration for fear that confidential material will inadvertently get into the wrong hands. But centralizing security can slow down the pace of information sharing in your organization while users wait for security permissions to be approved. Even if security administration is controlled that still doesn't guarantee that someone won't save the wrong kind of information in the wrong place and share it with the wrong people.
The New Compliance Center in SharePoint lets you create Data Loss Prevention (DLP) queries and policies that can be used to identify and protect sharing of documents that contain sensitive information in both SharePoint and OneDrive. This functionality is available both on-premises and in Office 365.
In this talk we'll explore the following topics:
• What is a DLP Policy
• What common DLP templates are available in SharePoint
• How can DLP templates be used in queries to identify sensitive content
• How can DLP Policies be used to inform users and prevent sharing of sensitive content
• How can I create custom DLP Templates, Queries, and Policies
• How is DLP different in SharePoint 2016 and Office 365